CNY News & Weather
Syracuse NY and Central New York local news and weather continually updated.
More News Options: Finger Lakes News | CNY Sports
- Syracuse men's cross country team wins ACC Championship for second year in a row
For the second year in a row, and fifth time in six years, the Syracuse men's cross country team won its conference championship meet. The Syracuse men won their second-straight ACC Championship on Friday by putting eight runners in the top 19, led by ACC Individual Champion Martin Hehir.
- Top US military official asks Muslim man at Syracuse University: 'Are you Taliban?'
The nation's highest ranking military officer began with one about himself and his wife, Deanie Dempsey, a Le Moyne College graduate. "Did you ever in your wildest dreams think we'd be here and I'd be chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff?" Yusuf Soule, a Muslim man who is the city of Syracuse schools' on-campus coordinator at Syracuse University, asks a question of Gen.
- Syracuse Basketball: Orange No. 23 in Preseason AP Rankings
Syracuse is ranked, which is nice. I mean, not as high as they've been in previous years, but that's just fine! Remember all of those recent preseason polls when Syracuse was a top-10ish team? Those were fun times.
- Syracuse Men's Soccer: Looking to Finish on a High
... squad. Alex Bono collected his 11th clean sheet of the year, 29th of his career, tying the single season record at Syracuse. The man has a 0.36 goals against average this year, keeping Syracuse #1 in the country in that category. The team goes into ...
- Halloween, on Grindstone Island: 'You better get moving when you come to Mine Ledge Road'
... dad was a Grinder dairy farmer, and Junie's dad told his son the story of the witch. As for Franny, she grew up in Syracuse. She married Tim Purcell, a Watertown contractor. They visited Grindstone Island and were enchanted by the dirt roads, the ...
- Used-car sales branch opens in former Hofmann's Hot Haus
This is the first Syracuse-area used-car sales branch for Enterprise Holdings, which operates five Enterprise Rent-A-Car locations in this area. Enterprise Car Sales opens at 10 a.m. Saturday in the renovated building at 6758 Manlius Center Road in DeWitt, just down the road from its rental operation.
- Syracuse Chapter of Uplifting Athletes holds touchdown pledge for NC State game
The Syracuse Chapter of Uplifting Athletes is holding a touchdown pledge during the football team's game against North Carolina State on Saturday at 3 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. Every time an Orange player finds the end zone, money will be donated toward the chapter's chosen rare disease, Anaplastic astrocytoma, which former punter Rob Long battled and overcame a few years back.
- Syracuse man hospitalized after being shot multiple times on Syracuse's South Side
A 26-year-old Syracuse man was shot in both arms and through his cheek early this morning on Syracuse's South Side, police say. City police were investigating a shots fired complaint in the 700 block of Bellevue Avenue around 12:20 a.m., Sgt.
- Radio show host interviews Henry Fogel, founder of classical music radio station in Syracuse
Henry Fogel was a co-founder of WONO, Syracuse's classical music station from 1963 to 1978 before it folded. He was the station's vice president and program director.
- SMG, which runs the Oncenter, tasked with making the lakeside amphitheater successful
... 2016. Oncenter General Manager Kelly Carr did not return calls for comment for this story. In May, however, he told Syracuse.com that SMG was hired by the county to "lower the deficit on [the Oncenter]." SMG's role regarding the amphitheater would ...
- Suspect at large after shooting Syracuse man several times, once through the cheek
Police officers were investigating a shots fired call in the 700 block of Sterling Avenue at about 12:20 am Friday when a man drove up to them who was shot several times. Officers say he was shot in both arms, as well as through the cheek.
- Syracuse Crunch owner Howard Dolgon treating Frozen Dome Classic 'world title fight'
Howard Dolgon will take his Syracuse Crunch on the road three weeks from tonight, traveling all the way from downtown to the Carrier Dome, where it will play the Utica Comets in the Frozen Dome Classic before a crowd that could make a run at 30,000. If so, Dolgon, ever the salesman, believes that our town would establish itself as the "best pound-for-pound sports city in America."
- Happy Halloween! 7 free foods and discount treats offered at restaurants today
Chipotle's "Boorito" is one of several Halloween specials being offered at restaurants on Oct. 31, 2014. Happy Halloween! 2014's holiday is rife with scary good deals at restaurants nationwide, including several located in the Syracuse area.
- Syracuse Women's Basketball Ranked No. 24 in Preseason AP Poll
The AP Poll was released on Thursday afternoon and the Syracuse Orange women's basketball team just made the cut. The Orange is No.
- Will Onondaga Lake amphitheater make money? Unlikely, if other Upstate venues are a guide
... executive director of the CMAC amphitheater in Canandaigua. The 15,000-seat CMAC is the closest amphitheater to Syracuse and the one most likely to be affected by the one on Onondaga Lake. Onondaga County officials say the $50 million amphitheater ...
- Cuomo in Rochester
... ter at the Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 13 on Mt. Read Boulevard at 2:30 today. They will also be making stops in Syracuse and Niagara Falls.
- Wilmington Trust Hires Todd Freeman as Private Client Advisor in Syracuse, N.Y. Office
We are pleased to add a person with Todd's experience and client-focus to our Syracuse team as we continue to add value for our clients. Wilmington Trust hired Todd Freeman as a private client advisor for the firm's Wealth Advisory office in Syracuse, N.Y. He will provide wealth management advice to high-net-worth individuals, families, business owners, and foundations.
- Editorial endorsement: John Katko for the 24th Congressional District
... lawyer for 23 years, 20 of them as federal prosecutor. Katko's biggest achievement was putting together the Syracuse Gang Violence Task Force. He and others devised a way to use federal racketeering laws to put away more than 100 gang members. ...
- Guest column: Syracuse football's offensive breakdown has...
Head coach Scott Shafer celebrates with his defense during a game against Clemson on Oct. 25, 2014. (Stephen D. Cannerelli By Roger Praetorius Syracuse, N.Y. - I can summarize the Syracuse-Clemson game for all the fans as "No O." The Orange defense was up to the challenge and played like it belonged near the top of the Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Editorial endorsement: Andrew Cuomo for NY governor
... the other guy is not a blueprint for governing. Green Party gubernatorial candidate Howie Hawkins, 61, of Syracuse, offered a familiar slate of progressive ideas. We don't agree with his platform but applaud him for keeping the major party ...