Finger Lakes Local News
Local news in the Finger Lakes Region of NY continually updated from thousands of sources.
More Options: CNY News | CNY Sports
Finger Lakes News
- The Post Office Returns to the Local Store
Heather Gable has had it rough. During the recession, sales dropped off at Finger Lakes Coffee House, the business she owns in Van Etten, a small Upstate New York town.
- Duffy: Firms in tax-free program must ink PILOT deals
Businesses that qualify for Gov. Andrew Cuomo's tax-free initiative for locating near SUNY schools would be required to negotiate payment-in-lieu-of-taxes agreements with local governments, Lt.
- Strong thunderstorms approaching Onondaga County
As of 2:30 PM, showers and thunderstorms were lining up from Fulton in Oswego County southwestward across western Onondaga County to around Penn Yan in the Finger Lakes.
- Cornell student missing after canoeing on Cayuga Lake
That's the name of a DEC promotion reminding people not to disturb fawns and other young wildlife.
- If Rhinos upset New England, they'll host NY Red Bulls
The U.S. Open Cup draw for the fourth round was announced Wednesday and now we know what's at stake: Another home game and shot to take down an MLS club.
- Ithaca man missing after canoeing on Cayuga Lake
Authorities say they'll resume their search for a 22-year-old Ithaca man who went missing while canoeing alone on one of the Finger Lakes.
- 'Why I Love the Finger Lakes' career expo
It's a first for the Finger Lakes Community College a career expo based on the unique Finger Lakes area economy.
- Fishing, like the weather, is definitely getting better
Shawn Shipman was in second place with a 70.4 lbs. halibut. The Whitehorse, Yukon Territory resident caught the fish May 19, 2013 on the Dan Orion.
- Syracuse weather: warmth, humidity and thunderstorms
Around 5 p.m. today, while it was 68 degrees in Syracuse, it was near 80 in Buffalo.
- More than 1,000 'Still Waiting' for a place to live
More than 1,000 people in our area are waiting for a place to live, but what makes this wait so critical is that they're living with developmental disabilities.
- Combating invasive species in Rochester, NY during Climate Change
While we continue to battle the Emerald Ash Borer that is devastating our ash trees , we should ponder the issue of invasive species as our Rochester, NY region warms.
- Wayne-Finger Lakes Track and Field Special Olympics event held in Palmyra
Hundreds of students took part in the Wayne-Finger Lakes Track and Field Special Olympics event held Friday in Palmyra.
- Grape news: It came from the tundra
"Oh boy," said one of my fellow judges with just a wee bit of wryness in his voice, "we get to judge the Minnesota White Table Wine and Minnesota Red Table Wine categories." I couldn't bite my tongue because I needed it for tasting 90 wines that day.
- Donna The Buffalo On Tour With New Album
More energized and focused than ever before in their near 25-year career, roots-music troubadours Donna the Buffalo will debut their first studio album in five years, Tonight, Tomorrow and Yesterday, on June 18 via Sugar Hill Records.
- Friday's Area Events
Swanson and eight other Creighton residence halls were part of a program called Give & Go that encouraged students to drop off items while cleaning out their dorm rooms.
- Finger Lakes region receives funding to put teens to work this summer
More than 18,000 teens in New York will have jobs this summer through the state's Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Blood Pressure Challenge: How to Know Your Numbers
May is High Blood Pressure Awareness Month. News 8 is recognizing the national observance and reminding everyone to "know your numbers." Dr.
- New charges for NY man charged in son's '08 death
The ball didn't have to leave the infield for the Binghamton Mets to turn a tie game into a... The Binghamton Mets won their third straight with a 7-3 victory against the Akron Aeros on Tuesday night.
- Funeral set for Finger Lakes soldier killed in Afghanistan
Former Binghamton Mets flame-throwing starting pitcher and current New York Mets phenom Matt Harvey has garnered plenty of national attention for his Akron scored the first two runs of the game, but the Binghamton Mets scored the next five to win the first game of the three-game series at NYSEG The Binghamton Mets continue their seven-game home ... (more)
- Tuesday's news briefs from the Associated Press
United States Representative Peter Welch of Vermont to discuss importance of farm bill.
Finger Lakes Region weather